Sunday, November 20, 2011

When I Don't Feel I've Taught Enough

I have my lesson plans laid out and my goal every day is get everything done on them. I am a list maker. I love to put a check mark by what I have completed on my to do list. It gives me a quick high. I've learned, though, through my years of teaching that it is unrealistic to finish everything on your lesson plans every day. I used to get stressed out and upset at myself on the days where nothing went as planned.
My outlook has recently changed when it comes to my lesson plans. (I am still the same about my personal day to day to do lists...I don't think that will ever go away!) Through trial and error, I have found that it is actually best for my students to decide what we complete and what we do not complete. Now I'm not saying I let them verbally have an opinion...no way. I mean that their attention span and body language help me judge now the length of the lessons. Consequently, what I wanted to teach in a day might take three days and that is ok and I can accept that. I would like to think that this new journey for me in the delivery of my lesson plans keeps me from thinking of myself only. It puts my students first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...