Monday, April 19, 2010

When Does the Wanting to Help Fade Away???

I have recently taken a closer look at my students and how they interact with one another. I love teaching the younger age because they haven't been jaded yet when it comes to helping. Whenever I drop something or another child spills something they run to help clean it up. Before now I would get all anal and tell them to go back to what they are doing. I am very controlling and set on everything going in order. Today I stopped and saw the beauty of it: they run to help without any encouragement on their own. I need to learn that interruptions in a day's schedule can be ok. From now on if a teacher drops something in the hallway and my student's get out of line to go help I am not going to instruct them to stay in line and keep going because we are on a time schedule. Sometimes its the little moments that can become the best lessons. I have to stop being impatient and let life happen.
I never want to be responsible for dampening the willingness to help others in my students. When I look at the older grades in my school I see how different they are and it breaks my heart because I worry that my "babies" will one day act the same. At what age does it all change?

1 comment:

  1. My mother (God rest her soul) wouldn't teach above 3rd. grade. She said exactly the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...